Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Where to begin??

We have been on summer break for 20 days now and it feels as if school is going to start tomorrow!  With 64 days left of this treasured time of year, I find myself already feeling overwhelmed and not sure where to begin.

A little bit of a back story:  I returned to the classroom last year after staying home for 12 years raising our family of four boys! With most of them in school full time, I thought I might get back in the game. (Heck, I was at school all the time anyways, I thought I might as well get paid for it.) Anyways, I taught 3rd grade last year and really enjoyed it, but while staying home I coached high school basketball and had taught upper elementary/high school before staying home, so third grade wasn't exactly my comfort zone. This year I made the move to 5th! I am super excited although I'm really going to miss the other 3rd grade teacher.

I ran across this cute blog The Applicious Teacher and saw she was doing a linky party ALL summer! I love getting ideas from all of you wonderful teachers, so I thought I'd link up as well.


Unfortunately I don't have pictures of my room last year, but I went with a sports theme. (4 boys, a husband that played college football, and me who played 3 sports AND coached basketball, it seemed only fitting.) I want to keep that theme, but our school is going with a Super Hero theme as well. Somehow I want to figure out how to mesh them both together. All I have to show right now are the "BEFORE" shots, but continue to check back regularly as I am going to begin going up to the room to decorate and organize beginning next week.

After scouring the different blogs and of course Pinterest, I know I want to include the following in my design.

 I am LOVING the SuperHero poms, and I think the Homeworkopoly will be a wonderful motivator. I also want to do something to my ugly teacher desk. I'm just wondering what would be the best way to attach the fabric. I was thinking velcro strips. What do you guys think?
One thing is for sure...I have A LOT to do! By the end of summer I'm definitely going to feel like Superwoman if I get it all done. Until then, Happy Decorating and don't forget to check back with The Applicious Teacher for more great topics through out the summer!

6 comments:

  1. LOVE the superhero poms...That is so cute! I can't wait to see how you tie in the sports theme with superheros. :) I can't figure out how to "follow you" but I love your blog!

    Kelly
    First Grade Fairytales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Kelly, I can't figure out how to put "Followers" on here either. :) That's how new I am to this whole blogging thing. It's intimidating, especially since I found so many neat and creative blogs. I thought that Google+Followers was how to do it, but not sure.

      Our school mascot is a Panther and I'd love to find a full size Panther standing up and with a cape blowing behind him....I've been searching, but haven't found what I "want" yet. I still have 64 days!! Thanks for your comments!

      Megan

      Delete
  2. You could do Super Heros with Paw Prints on their Capes. You could also do a Panther dressed up like a hero. Crystal Fox is a Clipartist on TpT and she makes "minime's" for $10. You could have her make a panther superhero and accessories like a football, basketball and a volleyball. Then, you could use the pieces to make a classroom pack classroom decor pack. That would be very unique. I can totally see it.

    Deniece, This Little Piggy Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deniece! Thanks for visiting my blog and giving me some great ideas! I was on the same page as you with the Panther and cape. I'll have to look Crystal Fox up on TPT! Thanks for the idea. I am heading up to the school today, but already feel overwhelmed and haven't even stepped foot in there!

    Love your blog by the way!
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just became your second follower! You might want to think about putting on a button for Bloglovin' as Google Reader is going away!

    Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay Diane..this is going to show just how much I don't know. :) What is Google Reader and what do I do to get a button? I feel embarrassed to even ask. Thanks for your help AND for becoming my 2nd follower!

      Megan

      Delete